Preparing Your Ram Truck for Winter
Whether your personal vehicle or that of the company you work for, pickup trucks can take a beating during harsh Indiana winters. Like with any vehicle, a little preventative maintenance can go a long way to combatting winter weather’s effect on your truck. Our Ram dealership has provided some tips below on what auto services you might consider for the coming months.
- Replace your engine oil with a thinner blend, and replace your coolant with a blend of 50% antifreeze and 50% water.
- If your truck is equipped with a diesel engine, check for special winter blends next time you are at the fuel pump or use a fuel additive to prevent gelling in the cold air. Ensure that your glow plugs are working correctly, and consider purchasing a front grille cover for those mornings that drop into negative temperatures.
- If you drive a truck with a 4×2 system, placing sandbags in the bed over the rear axle can help improve traction. If your truck is equipped with a 4×4 system, test all components to make sure they are working properly.
- Ensure the exhaust system is free of leaks. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real danger in wintertime.
- Put on winter tires for added grip on snowy roads and check the tire pressure regularly.
- Replace your windshield wipers with special winter-tough wipers, and wash and wax your pickup to prevent rust from road salt. Make sure to clean the wheel wells and undercarriage as well.
You can shop for winter accessories and parts, including snow tires, at our auto parts department. It’s also a good idea to pack emergency supplies such as extra gloves and other warm clothes, a shovel, a reflective vest, flashlight, and the like in case you become stranded.
Have questions about what your truck needs this year? Schedule a service appointment at Champion Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, and we’ll give your vehicle a full inspection and determine what maintenance you may need. Call (877) 727-4915 to speak with a Ram truck specialist today.